Reporting Spacer

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarms

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless and odourless poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of Carbon-based fuels. The fuels are generally safe to use, however when it does not burn properly is can produce excess CO. When inhaled into the body, Carbon Monoxide stops blood from being oxygenated, subsequently starving the brain and organs of oxygen causing brain damage or even death.

It is strongly recommended by HSE to install CO alarms in your home. Audible alarm systems are the most common as the sound will alert you even when asleep if there are high levels of Carbon Monoxide in your home. These detectors work by measuring the amount of CO in the air, if there is a certain level of this gas over a period of time the detector will sound an alarm. Once the alarm sounds, the CO detector will not shut off until it is situated in a Carbon Monoxide free environment.

There are various sensors you can purchase that use different but equally effective systems to detect CO in your home. Many Carbon Monoxide Alarms are battery powered but they also have a life of between 5-7 years and are very simple to install. Digital CO alarms not only alarm you to excessive levels of CO but also give you an actual figure, even at low CO readings.

A Carbon Monoxide alarm is a vital device to have within you home which is why they are available at affordable prices. 

Settings